Friday, March 28, 2008

Yet Another Friday

This morning began with breakfast at Old West Cafe with a mentor friend of mine. We discussed religion, politics, and the woes of life over some eggs over easy and a bowl of grits. Most of what I glean from this man during our times of fellowship is male bonding, if you will. I believe that we must all surround ourselves with people of great influence, to teach us to serve, act, and love better. Just as any artist who wishes to master his skill, they must study and learn from the best to achieve such greatness. I do not strive to be great, by any means. However, I do strive to be excellent in my speech, thought, and deed so that others might see a change in me. I do not wish to push my beliefs on others, but rather, that people would see my life and be glad that my presence brings integrity.

Integrity is something that I always ponder; it is who you are. I heard once "you are only as good as your name" and unfortunately, that is always the case. We spend most of our lives, attempting to live up to a standard set within our culture, e.g. living the "American Dream". Yet, far too often we take short cuts to insure that dream is transformed int reality. Why, bigger is better, right? After Erin and I flipped our first house, our hefty profit enabled us to move up the real estate ladder and into a house almost triple in size. Both houses we have purchased have been major remodels (both were foreclosures). The reason why we moved was primarily due to the small size of the first house. You could stand in the middle of the living room and be able to reach out and touch the kitchen! But our thoughts were to get something bigger and better. Looking back, I love the house that we are still flipping, but I regret making the move just to get something bigger. This bigger house has more problems and it costs more to up keep. But let me say this: I love the neighborhood and would not trade it for the world.

Back to the "American Dream". We take short cuts and sometimes are willing to compromise our faith, name, fortune to achieve such "happiness". Which there lies the truth of the matter: the grass is greener on the other side. I find myself comparing myself with others and their possessions. I do not believe that it is an inherent desire to have the biggest and the best. Or is it? As the great A.W. Tozer once said, "The reason we have to search for so many things to cheer us up is the fact that we are not really joyful and contentedly happy within."

Where does such joy and contentedly happy lives exist? How does one obtain it? As the author of Hebrews states, "Let us fix our eyes on the Cross", the reference point in which mankind finds eternal purpose, meaning, joy, content. The answer is Jesus. Find your joy in Him today.

1 comment:

Matt Henslee said...

you make me want to go deeper on mine...;)